Stuff about reading and writing better e-mails.
How to write e-mail w/ military precision
Original article: How to write e-mail w/ military precision
Subject lines should contain keywords:
- ACTION – Compulsory for the recipient to take some action
- SIGN – Requires the signature of the recipient
- INFO – For informational purposes only, and there is no response or action required
- DECISION – Requires a decision by the recipient
- REQUEST – Seeks permission or approval by the recipient
- COORD – Coordination by or with the recipient is needed
First line of e-mail should be "BLUF" (Bottom Line Up Front) or "Bottom Line". One or two sentences asking who, what, where, when, and why.
Use active vs. passive voice. Attempt to fit e-mails "before the fold" (i.e. no scrolling required). Instead of attachments, send links to documents/files.