- Hike description template
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Backpacking equipment checklist
Hike description template
Things to add
- Points of interest
American Hiking Society Hiking Etiquette - American Hiking Society
- Achenbach Canyon Trailhead
Frequently Asked Questions
Are children allowed on the hike? Is there an age cut off?
Yes, they are your responsibility.
We've had children as young as 3 climb 12k foot mountains.
How does the group work? What does the meeting time and meeting place mean?
Go by individual cars, carpool to destination/trailhead.
web services - API to get weather based on longitude and latitude coordinates - Stack Overflow
In the JSON output, location/zone contains the zone for fetching weather for a zone:
Bonanza Peak at Spring Mt Range - The Las Vegas Hiking and Outdoors Meetup (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup
Backpacking equipment checklist
- Sleeping bag (rated 20°F or higher. you may need 0°F or higher)
- Sleeping pad
- Food: either high-calorie meal-replacement bars, soup, or freeze-dried meals (e.g. Mountain House or Backpacker's Pantry brands) are good for dinner/etc.
- Clothes: towards the warmer side, at least 3 sets. 2 that you will carry—you should not sleep in clothes you were hiking in, and should alternate. 1 set to keep in the car for the ride home (we don't want to smell you). Can use extra clothes as a pillow when sleeping. Check weather report to see. Clothes should include extra socks, a jacket, etc. Preferably clothes that dry quickly (no jeans/cotton!)
- Water bottles enough to hold 1 day's drinking water and for meals
- Backpack: large enough to hold everything you're carrying, probably 35–45L. Backpack should weigh no more than ¼ your weight, and absolutely no more than ⅓ your weight (i.e. w/ water can weigh ⅓ your weight, but should be ¼ your weight or less without water)
- Instant heat pouch iron salt hand/body warmers: useful when freezing in the morning or when sleeping to help warm up. In hunting section at Walmart
- Tent: usually will have no problem rooming w/ someone else. Tent is the kind of thing that will take you over the
Stuff you can borrow
- Stove + fuel: may want to buy your own fuel and carry as a backup.
- Water pump/filter